Distance from Nuwara Eliya – 6.8 km (15 minutes)
Kande Ela Reservoir is situated along the Blackpool-Ambewela-Pattipola-Horton Plain Road in Nuwara Eliya. It is also known as the Meepilimana Reservoir and is a popular stop on the way to Horton Plains National Park. The reservoir was built between 1947 and 1949 while finally being declared open in 1950 by the then prime minister of Sri Lanka, Hon. D.S. Senanayake. It covers an area of approximately 4.5 square km. The main purpose of this reservoir is to supply drinking water to the residents of the area.
Getting to Kande Ela Reservoir
From Nuwara Eliya travel along the Blackpool – Magasthota Road and the Blackpool-Ambewela-Pattipola-Horton Plain Road to reach the Kande Ela Reservoir which is situated in Nuwara Eliya.