Distance from Polonnaruwa – 15.9 km (18 minutes)
Giritale Wewa is a reservoir situated in Giritale in the Polonnaruwa district. The tank is believed to have been built by King Agbo and renovated by King Parakramabahu the Great of the Polonnaruwa era. The Giritale tank was later renovated during the years 1905, 1942 and 1952. It was considered to be the deepest tank in Sri Lanka during the Polonnaruwa era.
Getting to Giritale Wewa
From Polonnaruwa travel along the Maradankadawala-Habarana-Thirukkondaiadimadu Highway up to Giritale. Travel approximately 1.1 km along the Elahera – Giritale Road to reach the Giritale Wewa.