Distance from Ella – 14 km (31 minutes)
Church of the Ascension also known as “Gal Palliya” or “Stone Church” is situated on the Bandarawela – Welimada Road in Bandarawela. It is situated on the Northwest side of the Bandarawela town. The beautiful stone church dates back to 1909 and was built by a British born priest, Rev. W.J.P. Waltham. The church was later extended in the years of 1936 and 1938. The tower of the church was added in the year 1952. The church is well-known for serving the community. There is a daycare centre which is run by the church to take care of the children of poor parents.