Distance from Mannar – 1.6 km (04 minutes)
Mannar Fort is a defense fort which is situated in Mannar in North-western Sri Lanka. It was initially built by the Portuguese in 1560 and was rebuilt by the Dutch in 1696. It was later taken over by the British and at present it is occupied by the Department of Archaeology, Sri Lanka. Mannar Fort is located next to the new bridge which links the mainland to Mannar Island. The square-shaped fort has four bastions which are all in good condition up-to-date.
Getting to Mannar Fort
From Mannar travel along the Thalvupadu – Mannar Road and the Medawachchiya-Talaimannar Highway to reach the Mannar Fort.