Distance from Galle – 3.5 km (12 minutes)
Galle Fort Zwart Bastion is situated guarding the Galle Harbor. It is located in Hospital Street, inside the premises of the DIG’s office. It is the oldest bastion built by the Portugese and it means the black bastion or black fort. The fort was named because it was covered in smoke a lot of time with firing guns and cannons. Built around 1730 the Zwart Bastion has a secret exit from Galle Fort in the form of a tunnel which has not been excavated.