Distance from Trinco – 135 km (2 hours 44 minutes)
The Batticaloa Dutch Fort is situated in Fort Road in Batticaloa. The fort was built by the Portuguese in the year 1628 and was thereafter captured by the Dutch on 18 May 1638. From 1745 it was used by the British. The structure of the Batticaloa Fort consists of four bastions. The fort is surrounded on two sides by the Batticaloa Lagoon and the other two sides by a canal. The Batticaloa Fort is made of granite stones and corals and is controlled by the Government of Sri Lanka.
Getting to Batticaloa Dutch Fort
From Trinco take the Trincomalee Highway and go past Kinniya, Seruwawila, Kalkudah and Chenkaladi up until Batticaloa. At Batticaloa turn to Fort Road to reach the Batticaloa Dutch Fort.